SpectorBOX Modular THT AOI Solution
Versatile Modular AOI with 9 Cameras and CCI
- Designed for THT Solder Inspection of Wave, Selective, Robotic, Laser and Hand Soldered boards
- Anomaly detection for bridges, balls and foreign material
- Component inspection with high clearance possibilities
- Easy Exchangeable and Serviceable module concept
- Suitable for Top, Bottom or Top+ Bottom side inspection
- Integrates well with custom conveyor systems for efficient inspections within solder frames
- Adopted by many integrators into complex THT production lines
- Complementing Mek’s VeriSpector for Manual Assembly Guidance and Inspection
- Connects to Mek’s Catch system for handling inspection data for Repair, SPC, Monitoring, and MES communication
- Catch system runs by Win11 Platform. Managed by IT divisions outside the factory floor
The Mek SpectorBOX modular AOI platform is expertly designed for inspecting Wave & Selective Soldering in both through-hole (THT) and surface mount (SMT) components on Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs). It seamlessly integrates with conveyor systems, allowing for efficient inspections within solder frames.
In THT assembly lines, where custom-built solutions and handling systems for dedicated products are the norm, standard SMT AOI machines fall short due to size, weight, clearance, and environmental conditions. Mek’s modular platform offers a customizable solution, making it adaptable to your unique production environment. Many integrators have already successfully incorporated Mek’s modular AOI into complex THT production lines.
Complementing the SpectorBOX is the Mek VeriSpector AOI, which provides manual assembly guidance and inspection, creating a comprehensive THT inspection solution for the entire assembly process. Mek’s Catch system streamlines the transfer of inspection data for repair, statistical process control (SPC), monitoring, and communication with Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES), managed by IT departments beyond the factory floor.
- Proven high-depth inspection algorithms with minimal false call rates
- Meniscus profile determination accommodates various THT solder joint and pin shapes
- Models available with 8 side cameras for inspection and defect review
- Height verification inspection by using side cameras
- Defect display with 9-angle microscopic views (up to 50x magnification) reducing operator judgement failures
- 9-camera systems eliminate manual PCB handling and post-classification by microscopes
- Various clearance options up to 60mm (for soldering) and 130mm for components
- Conformal Coating Inspection (CCI) model available
- 80mm Z-axis for inspecting at different heights
The SpectorBOX Series stands out for its inspection algorithms, renowned for their ability to provide high inspection depth while keeping false call rates to a minimum. Traditional AOI systems often struggle with a wide range of THT solder joint shapes, pin shapes, and mixed reflection characteristics, despite using 3D technology. Mek’s unique algorithms have convinced numerous plants to invest in Mek THT AOI systems.
The SpectorBOX J Series is equipped with up to nine cameras, comprising one top camera and eight side cameras. These cameras serve for both inspection and defect review. Operator errors are reduced through a defect display featuring nine-angle simultaneous microscopic views of each identified issue, with magnifications of up to 50x (bottom-up) or 7x (top-down). This eliminates the need for manual PCB handling and significantly reduces the post-classification workload of defects using microscopes.
The SpectorBOX modular AOI can be integrated into your production line by your local supplier or inserted in an existing production line using a solution developed by one of our partners. The Nutek Main Frame is a turnkey AOI solution allowing easy integration of one or two SpectorBOX modular AOI systems into the production line.
The modular concept allows the following inspection positions in THT soldering lines:
- Feed Conveyor: Top-Down to inspect for correct insertion of components into the PCB
- Feed Conveyor: Bottom-Up to inspect pin insertions pre-soldering or solder joints post soldering
- Return Conveyor: Bottom-Up to inspect solder joints on the return conveyor
A combination of any two of the above is possible.